The Bahamian resort said the “continuous rise of COVID-19 cases in key U.S. markets informs Atlantis’ decision to postpone reopening.” Photo: Shutterstock
Atlantis Paradise Island announced Sunday an extended closure of the property as the growing number of confirmed COVID-19 cases reported across the resort’s key U.S. markets continues to rise.
The news comes as the Bahamian government said it will no longer allow Americans to travel to the island due to the surge in U.S. cases, after reopening to travel earlier this month.
Atlantis said it is tracking new information daily and will share reopening updates on its website and through its social media channels.
“We have made the difficult decision to extend Atlantis’ closure, prioritizing the health and safety of our team, our guests, and our community first. While we are excited and energized by the opportunity to welcome our guests with warm Bahamian hospitality, we believe that extending our closure is in the best interest of public health at this time,” Audrey Oswell, president and managing director of Atlantis, said in a statement.
The resort has already pushed back its planned reopening from July 7 to July 30. Atlantis introduced Atlantis Clean & Safe Promise in development with the Cleveland Clinic. The program includes express check-in, physical distancing, mask requirements in elevators and at casino table games, and frequent sanitization.